Desert Blooms- Week 1 PR&P

It’s here! This is the first week of the Project Run and Play competition. I’ve resurrected this ancient blog so that I could share all the details about what I’ve designed and sewn for this exciting competition. With the excitement comes lots of nerves and stress, so I hope you’ll take a read, let me know what you think, and I’d be ever so grateful for your vote each week. I’ve gone in depth about each look in this blog post. I know it’s a lot, but it took a lot to create. Even if you don’t read through, there are lots of fun pictures of my kids here wearing my designs, so I hope you’ll scroll through. I wanted to keep it all in one post for ease, so here we go!
Here in the desert where its dry and rocky, we get some of the prettiest spring blooms. My collection for this pocket themed week is inspired by my children.
My four children are blooming and growing and bring me so much joy. I’ve created a look for each of them this week, all are self drafted designs featuring lots of pockets.
I wanted to showcase what I love to do. Sew with precision, use nice and clean finishes, mix and match fabrics, and include all kinds of pockets to hold all of my kids’ treasures. I let my imagination run wild to draft all of these looks, and I’ve loved bringing them to life with my kids wearing them.
For my oldest I created a modern shirt dress using a vintage floral denim fabric. It has box pleated pockets at the chest, a collar, and slightly oversized puffed sleeves. 
The shirt dress is completed with vintage buttons. I love collecting and re-using vintage buttons and fabric!
Here you can see the topstitching on the collar and pockets. The inside has enclosed seams at the neck and button plackets for a totally finished and clean inside.
I love how this dress looks on my oldest and now I really want one in my size!
My second daughter is wearing a boiler suit inspired jumpsuit with mandarin collar. 
It has inverted box pleat pockets at the chest and front hip pockets. To make dressing easier I used heavy duty snaps at the pockets and front closure. 
This jumpsuit also has inverted box pleat flap pockets at both legs. Most of the seams and pockets are topstitched for security and a beautiful finish.

I added a back welt pocket, and back patch pocket. All pockets are lined with a cute floral print for a surprise for my daughter.

I used a sturdy cotton twill that will endure even the toughest play time. It’s going to wash and wear so wonderfully, similar to denim.
My third daughter is wearing a similar jumpsuit, but with a collar stand and collar. I used a linen cotton blend and accented it with the floral denim pockets at the chest and back.
The oversized sleeves give it a relaxed feel, while using back darts at the pant waist give more shape and tailoring. It has side seam pockets in addition to the back patch pockets.
I gathered the top part of the jumpsuits for a design twist. It gives a cinched look without the need of a belt or tie, making dressing easy and stylish.
This jumpsuit is finished with more vintage buttons from my collection. I love mixing and matching and these rounded textured white buttons really pull in the white denim accent pockets. A pop of a cute pink button at the neck is just what my pink loving girl needs. 
Last but not least is my son. He is wearing a comfy and stylish knit outfit, perfect for his fun, always on the move, personality.
I drafted a pair of loose cargo style joggers and sewed them up out of a heavy weight cotton french terry. They have front hip pockets and side flap patch pockets. 
His sweatshirt is also perfect for everyday. It’s made from a soft organic knit french terry with contrasting rib knit cuffs, waistband, and neckband. 
I made his sweatshirt extra special by appliquéing a flower from the vintage denim fabric onto the pocket.

I love how the looks come together in a modern collection perfect for my blooming kids. I hope you enjoyed reading about my week one looks for project run and play. I hope you love them and if you do I would love for you to vote for me over at the project run and play blog here. Thank you for stopping by and happy sewing!

Comments

Delia said…
Everything is SO well made and designed. I like that all the looks make a cohesive collection. Beautiful work this week!