Adagio- Week 2 PR&P

It’s week two of the Project Run & Play competition and I’m thrilled to introduce you to my designs. The theme for this week is Pleats to Meet You, and it’s all about fabric manipulation. I’ve created two self drafted dress designs, perfect for Spring!

I’ve danced basically my entire life, and now my daughters are dancers and I also teach dance. Ballet is the foundation for beautiful technique and I’ve named this collection after a ballet term, Adagio. Adagio refers to slow movement full of grace and fluidity. The designs I’ve created this week feature slow sewing and techniques that take time. It’s the kind of designing and sewing where I try to enjoy both the process and end results. I used light organza fabrics to create fluidity and movement and I’ve manipulated the fabric with various techniques.

My first design is for my youngest daughter. Her favorite color is pink so I chose a pale pink organza. It’s lined with a lightweight cotton lawn from Califabrics. I was inspired by vintage dress designs and wanted to create a timeless dress with a twist.

I created small diagonal pintucks along the bodice for textural interest. This was time consuming and more tricky working with this fabric, but once I got in the rhythm I enjoyed the process. 

I wanted to show that using one solid fabric and manipulating it in various ways can result in an interesting and stunning look.


The bodice has a V shape pieced detail front and a ruffle down the center for even more dimension.

The adorable puff sleeves feature a pleat at the bottom. The skirt is of course gathered for that classic silhouette.

The back is designed with a V shape and is finished with organza covered closures. 


I decided to opt for snaps since the fabric is so delicate and this way my 6 year old will be able to wear it easier. 

My second Design is for my middle daughter. I shirred the bodice of the dress in a pattern to create volume and gathers. 

I got into shirring last year and I’ve been hooked. 

When I added the sleeves my daughter exclaimed, “Oh, I love it!” And so did I. I created long puff sleeves with shirring at the wrist. 

The dress is once again lined with cotton lawn from Califabrics. 

Keeping these sleeves sheer really shows off the fabric design and keeps this dress nice and light for the warm (and hot) weather we have here in Las Vegas.

It’s finished with a gathered bottom tier on the skirt for an extra feminine silhouette.  

Both dresses are constructed with French seams and small rolled hems. I also bound the inside armholes of the pink dress so that the seam would not irritate my daughter (the serged organza seam was a little itchy). 

The inside bodice seams are all enclosed of both dresses.

With pretty finishes inside and out, my daughter’s will happily wear these dresses and hopefully feel just how special they are in them. I’d really appreciate your vote this week to help me get through to next week. Just click here to vote on the Project Run & Play blog. Thank you for reading, and happy sewing!





Comments

Delia said…
The yellow dress is my favorite!! The pintucks on the bodice of the white dress are so impressive. Lovely looks this week!