Homemade Ice Cream Cake

Please pardon the fact that I haven't shared much lately. We moved half way across the country...again, and I'm just now finding some time. I thought I'd share a really good Ice Cream Birthday Cake with you, because it was seriously the biggest hit at my husband's birthday.

He usually goes for a homemade red velvet (both of our faves) but I wanted to try something different, and since it's the summer I gave him some ice cream cake options. After deciding on this recipe from good ol' Martha we adapted it a bit and I made some adjustments. I kept my cake at 8 in. and added some ice cream since I was feeding a lot of people. You can just use ice cream to "frost" the whole thing, but I decided to add some whipped cream.


Mint & Oreo Ice Cream Cake
Adapted Recipe by Posh Pilar
Original Recipe by Martha Stewart Living


Ingredients

  • Dark Chocolate Cake Recipe found here
  • 48 oz. container Mint Chocolate Chip Ice Cream (or 3 pints)
  • 48 oz. container Cookies & Cream Ice Cream (or 3 pints)
  • 1 Pint Vanilla Ice Cream
  • Heavy whipping Cream
  • Two 8 in. Sq. Pans (same pans you bake the cake in)

Directions

  1. Slice each layer in half horizontally, making a total of 4 layers. Wrap in plastic wrap and refrigerate.
  2. Microwave Mint ice cream until softened, about 20 seconds. Transfer ice cream to a medium mixing bowl, and stir with a rubber spatula. Place in the freezer. Microwave Cookies & Cream ice cream until softened, about 20 seconds, and transfer to another mixing bowl. Stir with a rubber spatula.
  3. Place one cake layer in the same pan you baked it in, lined with plastic wrap. Spread 2 1/2 C. Cookies & Cream ice cream over the cake. Place another cake layer on top of ice cream. Place cake and bowl of C&C ice cream in the freezer for 20 minutes.
  4. Remove the cake and the bowl of mint ice cream from the freezer. Stir ice cream with the spatula to soften. With the spatula, evenly spread 2 1/2 C. ice cream over cake. Place a third cake layer on top. Return the cake and the bowl of mint ice cream to the freezer for 20 minutes.
  5. Remove the cake and the bowl of C&C ice cream from the freezer, and spread the remaining 2 1/2 cups ice cream over the top; place the fourth cake layer on top of the C&C ice cream. Return the cake to the freezer for 20 minutes more.
  6. Remove the cake and bowl of mint ice cream from freezer, and spread 2 1/2 cups mint ice cream over top. Return cake and ice cream to freezer, and chill the cake until firm, about 1 hour.
  7. Whip Heavy Cream with sugar to taste to make own whipped cream. 
  8. Place plastic wrap and other pan over top of assembled cake. Flip cake over, remove bottom pan and wrap and place on desired serving plate.
  9. Trim sides of cake to make them even.
  10. Stir Vanilla ice cream and some whipped cream until desired consistency to "frost" cake. 
  11. Cover/ "frost" entire cake in vanilla mixture.
  12. Return the cake to freezer; freeze until completely hardened. Decorate.


Although it seems like a lot of steps it's not that bad. You just have to let it freeze in between the layering. I made the cake part a couple of days in advance and then assembled it a day in advance, before "frosting" the whole thing the day of. We also had to transport it, so after I layered it all I wrapped it and put the 2nd pan on top. We put it in a cooler of ice and drove 30 minutes with no problems. Once there I "frosted"' the whole thing and decorated it a bit. 


I'm excited to try different flavor combos. My siblings are already requesting this for their birthdays. Let me tell you it's impressive once it's all done and seriously delish. This is the only picture I took before it basically disappeared!

Comments

Jessica Morgan said…
I am so sad we missed out on this one... looks delicious!
Holly Lefevre said…
More ice cream cake would make the world a happier place!
this looks so good. I make cakes all the time but havent tried making an ice cream cake. Must try! Thanks for sharing.