For my sister's birthday in May I decided to make her a tunic. I already had the pattern because I love to buy a bunch when they are 99 cents. There are two options for this top. Either the yo-yo flower style I made here or you can make it with bows, which I plan on doing. So she picked out some fabric and then I got to work.
This is McCall's M5851. She likes it with the belt more because she is obsessed with accessories, but I like how it hangs without. It looks great with a black shade/layers underneath.
The process was pretty simple because you make the bust, lower portion, connect them and put in a zipper. The yo-yo's are sewn together and to the top by hand. We wanted hers to be more durable so we used a cotton, but it would be pretty with some of the recommended fabrics: silk crepe or charmeuse.
The part that took the longest was making tons and tons of yo-yo's! I made the recommended amount and I should have known I would have several left over. But it turned out to be a good thing because I turned those extra yo-yo's into hair clips and pins!
You can see the one in her hair is backed with a ruffle of black cotton and has a pretty pearl in the middle. I've made a variety of hair clips/pins using my leftover yo-yo's and will have some up for sale soon in My Etsy Shop.